First held in 2007, the World Whiskies Awards are Whisky Magazine's product awards, searching for the very best whiskies in the world.
This year's competition saw more than 300 whiskies put through their paces during three rounds of rigorous tastings to win the coveted titles of the 'World's Best'.
Icons of Whisky
The Icons are designed to celebrate the people and places behind the great whiskies of the world, with the World Whiskies Awards taking care of the liquid later in the year.
- Whisky Importer of the Year : Whisky-E Ltd.
Whisk-e Ltd. has been importing Scotch whiskies from independent distillers since the turn of the century and has more recently extended its ‘craft’ portfolio to both beers and spirits.
- Whisky Retailer of the Year (Online): Royal Mile Whiskies
Whether you are after a special gift idea, or just your favourite dram, you are sure to find it in this superb online store. Royal Mile Whiskies offers a fine selection of whiskies from all over the world as well as an A to Z of other spirits.
- Whisky Retailer of the Year – Single Outlet: Berry Bros & Rudd
Berry Bros. & Rudd have been trading from the same shop at 3 St James’s Street London since 1698, making it Britain’s oldest wine and spirit merchant.
- Whisky Retailer of the Year – Multiple Outlet: Cadenhead’s Whisky Shop
Established in 1842, Cadenhead’s is Scotland’s oldest Independent Bottler. Two of their nine shops are in Scotland, namely Edinburgh and Campbeltown.
- Whisky Distributor of the Year: Southern Wine & Spirits
Southern Wine & Spirits puts customers and suppliers at the forefront of everything the company does. It currently operates in 35 states and constantly strives to be the leading distributor of alcohol.
- Whisky Visitor Attraction Manager of the Year: Julie Gorham
Julie has played a key role in supervising and managing the Four Roses Distillery Visitor Centre since July 2004 and she spearheaded the remodelling of the huge and beautiful distillery completed in autumn 2012.
- Whisky Brand Ambassador of the Year: Jack Teeling
Jack Teeling is the founder and Managing Director of Teeling Whiskey Company.
- Whisky Distillery Manager of the Year: Ian Chang, Kavalan Distillery.
Ian Chang joined Kavalan distillery in 2005 as Master Blender but within his role he also encompasses that of Brand Ambassador, Director of Global Business Development and Head of Research and Development.
- Whisky Visitor Attraction of the Year: Suntory Yamazaki Distillery
The Suntory Yamazaki Distillery tour promises to teach you everything you need to know about how they produce a variety of distinctive single malt whiskies.
- Craft Whisky Producer of the Year: St George Spirits
St. George Spirits has been producing a fine array of artisanal products since 1982. Among these are single malt whiskey, bourbon, agricole rum, absinthe and a selection of gins, brandies and liqueurs.
- Whisky Brand Innovator of the Year: Buffalo Trace Distillery
Buffalo Trace Distillery has won numerous awards and titles over the years and recently added National Historic Landmark to the list.
- Whisky Distiller of the Year: The BenRiach Distillery Company
In 2004, The BenRiach Distillery Company was established by Billy Walker, Wayne Kieswetter and Geoff Bell with the acquisition of the BenRiach Distillery in Elgin.
The WinnersThe first awards
- World's Best Flavoured Whisky: Master of Malt 40yo Speyside Whisky Liqueur
- World's best Grain Whisky: Darkness! North British 18yo Oloroso Cask Finish
- World's Best Pot Still Whiskey: Redbreast Pot Still 15yo
- World's Best American Whiskey: Thomas H. Handy Sazerac Straight Rye Whiskey
|Picture: Buffalo Trace|
- Best Scotch Blended Malt: Wemyss Malts Velvet Fig!
- World's Best Blended Malt: Nikka Whisky Taketsuru Pure Malt 17yo
- Best African Blended: Three Ships Bourbon Cask Finish
- Best European Blended: Black Mountain Whisky Selection BM no1
- Best Irish Blend Tullamore D.E.W Phoenix
- Best Japanese blended Suntory Hibiki 12yo
- World's Best Blend: That Boutique-y Whisky Company Blended Whisky #1 Batch 1
|Picture: Master of Malt|
- Best African Single Malt: Three Ships Single Malt 10yo
- Best American Single Malt: Balcones Texas Single Malt
- Best Irish Single Malt: Teeling Single Malt
- Best Australian Single Malt: Sullivan’s Cove French Oak Cask Matured
- Best European Single Malt: Mackmyra Iskristall!
- Best Japanese Single Malt: Suntory Yamazaki 18yo
- Best Lowland Single Malt: Highland Harvest Single Malt, Sauternes Wood
- Best Highland Single Malt: Glenmorangie Extremely Rare 18yo
- Best Campbelltown Single Malt: Longrow 11yo
- Best Speyside Single Malt: Benriach 16yo
- Best Islands Single Malt: Ledaig 10yo
- Best Islay Single Malt: Ardbeg Kildalton
|Picture: The Whisky Exchange|
- World's Best Single Malt 2015: Kavalan Solist Vinho Barrique
|Picture: The Whisky Exchange|
Whisky Magazine Hall Of Fame
- Jim Beveridge, Master Blender from Johnnie Walker
- Seiichi Koshimizu from Suntory
- Bill Lark, founder from Lark Distillery
Source & pictures: Whisky Magazine and World Whiskies Awards